A fever represents the mobilization of the body’s immune system.
It is the first reaction of our immune defense and indicates that the person is defending themselves.
In children under 7 years old, a fever indicates a building of the immune system.
The fever is a part of the non-specific immune response.
THE BENEFITS OF FEVER:
• Fever is the primary mode of immune system function in infants and young children who have not yet developed a mature immune system. Fever helps with the development of the immune system in young children.
• Fever inhibits the growth of microbes and at higher temperatures can kill these microbes.
• Fever increases the production of interferon thereby inhibiting viral reproduction.
• Fever stimulates the immune system and increases the mobility and killing ability of white blood cells, which fight infection.
• Fever increases the body’s metabolic rate allowing the body to get rid of waste products more quickly thereby having an important function in detoxifying the body of substances it might not otherwise be able to eliminate.
|Patient is Feeling||Skin Appears||Body Temperature relative to Thermostat Setting||Direction of Fever|
|COLD||Pale, cyanotic, shivering||Body temperature is LESS THAN Thermostat setting||Rising|
|HOT||Flushed, sweating||Body temperature is GREATER THAN Thermostat setting||Falling|
|No Dominant Perception||Normal to flushed||Body temperature is EQUAL to Thermostat setting||Holding
For High temp w/ convulsions use:
Valerian, Scullcap, Passion Flower
Wet sheet treatment and/or Wet sock treatment
Cool head and neck
If you fear danger – call 911
Call TeleHealth – 1 866 797 0000 24/7